The month of September has proved to be quite challenging for the search efforts. The heavy rainfalls, high winds and low cloud cover have not allowed us to get as much done as we had hoped but here is an update on what has been done.
As you may know, SAR did open the search back up for a couple of days at the beginning of the month. For two reasons: 1. to cover off areas that were not complete during the initial search and, 2. to investigate some areas of interest. SAR went back in to some very rough areas to search further. They had to be long-lined into Disc Creek/Spindle Creek areas. No evidence of Ty was found.
We have hired quite a few private helicopters, over 35hrs worth, with trained spotters since then. The first helicopter to go out was rigged with a special camera and had the doors removed for low altitude spotting. The areas that they have been flown include: Bull Canyon, Warner Creek, the West Ridge Line into the Coquitlam River drainage, Pitt Pass Junction and The East Ridge above Debeck Creek. The Debeck pass, Homer Creek, Homer Drainage and the entire Fools Gold Trail was flown over again in their entirety and 85-90% of the Coquitlam River was flown at low altitudes and at low speed. During these flights an old Cairn was found. Searchers were put back on the ground to search the surrounding areas of the Cairn, but no eveidence of Ty was found.
A second helicopter company was hired for a different perspective. The areas they covered were Mostly Bull Canyon, Debeck Pass and Warner drainage. They also found no signs of Ty, however did report a lot of wildlife activity.
A third Helicopter was hired and they were able to fly with cameras mounted at low altitude at low speed. They started at Warner Drainage and criss-crossed the search area East to West, heading North through Boise Bumps into Homer Creek/Homer Drainage. At the first opportunity of sunshine, they went out just this past Thursday, September 23rd, and spotted an old fire pit as well as partial prints. This information was passed on to Squamish SAR right away and we are waiting to hear if they will be investigating this find.
There hasn't been a stretch of consecutive sunny days for hikers and ground crews to search. We are hoping that in the next couple of weeks we will be able to get some people out on the ground, provided the weather cooperates.
Again, we thank you all for your support, positive comments and generosity.